She’s alive – Or how I finally finished a project

It finally has come to an end and I was able to clear my workbench

last night after finding the last bug in my build. Turns out that indeed
a proper contact to ground can help a transistor to work :). So without
further ado, I present you the K5TRI RotorDuino 3-wire rotor computer
controlled interface.
Now all that’s left to do is to make the schematics look nice so that I can actually share the whole project including source code.

Fun with CQRlog and MySQL

After last nights SKCC sprint I wanted to see how many more QSOs I would
need to reach Centurion status with the group. For thos who don’t know it, the
Centurion status is given to those members who made contact with 100 SKCC

Thankfully CQRlog has MySQL in the backend so what easier way to find out
than a quick SQL query.

Here’s what it looks like:

select distinct callsign, club_nr2 from cqrlog_main where club_nr2 > 0 and mode = "CW";

Seems I have to make a few more contacts, but am not far away either. 14 more to go.

And the results are in NAQCC 100th sprint

What a surprise. I did score indeed 1st place in
the W7 division in the 100th NAQCC sprint. It was 
fun, but now some work to do to get more Qs in the 
log during the next one.
SWA Category - W7 Division
Call   QSOs Mbrs Pts  Mul  Sco Bon Final  80-40-20 Antenna
K5TRI    20   19  39   10  390  x2   780  OCF Dipole @30 ft.
K9JWV    15   15  30   11  330  x2   660  43' vertical; seventy elevated radials
W7GAH     8    8  16    8  128  x2   256  240' Rand Wire @ 60'
W7TAO    11   10  21   10  210       210  575' loop at 40' 
NU7T      9    8  17    5   85  x2   170  Fence top 80m dp
WB7EUX    6    5  11    6   66  x2   132  Windom@30 ft
KE7YTE    5    4   9    5   45  x2    90  Vertical Dipole, 18 ft. @ feed point
AA7CU     7    6  13    6   78        78  Mobile vertical @ 12'
NU7Y      6    6  12    4   48        48  Attic Dpl@25'
WU7F      3    1   4    3   12  x2    24  Vert mounted nr gnd w/2 radials
K7DJO     3    2   5    2   10  x2    20  Gnd mtd vert
K7HAP     1    1   2    1    2  x2     4  Vert@10'
K7EX      2    1   3    1    3         3  Trapped dipole in attic @20'
@WD7Y    19   19  38   12  456       456  88 ft Dublet 30 ft high

ARRL DX CW Contest & Linux

This weekend was the ARRL DX CW contest. I played a little bit to get a
few new countries and just for fun. I started with N1MM but looked if
there was a way to do it on Linux. There is. The combination of xlog
and eepKeyer was working quite ok. Export of the Cabrillo file and also
scoring was a different story though. But it’s a start. eepKeyer uses
cwdaemon for keying, so the interface I built a few weeks ago worked as

More Arduino fun on Sunday

What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than to debug some code in your project.
Got around to hooking up the Adafruit LCD display via I2C bus to save some connections,
and also got rid of the garbled text when load was applied to the relays (a 10uf cap did the
trick). In addition I also solved the reset issue when rotctl re-connected (another 10uf cap)
and now need to figure out where some of the weird readings come from and how to make
the buttons work for manual control. Progress is being made.

Saturday build

Finally got around to build the interface for cwdaemon so that
CQRlog can key the radio for CW if need be. It’s not very complex
but still a productive day. Now back to debugging the rotor controller.


It’s a simple switching circuit with a 2n2222 transistor. I also
put in a 3.5mm jack so I can hook up the straight key.


Since I didn’t need the PTT portion, I only built the upper part.