2 thoughts on “Arduino + Radio Shield = APRS fun

  1. I’ve been trying to get my Radio Shield going (also with a UV-3R) for a high altitude balloon tracker.

    I had it working fine, but today (after changing nothing!) it now doesn’t transmit good packets. It sends the tones, but it’s way too long to be real data. When it was working fine, sending just a callsign would take a fraction of a second.

    Did you have any similar problems?

    Thanks!

    • Yes, unfortunately sending packets is not really working. Receiving is just fine but not sending. The idea was to use the shield as a telemetry beacon. The other issue I found with the UV-3R is that when I set the TX power to 5W the PTT hangs. On 1W no issue. Some ferrite beads might do the trick here. There is not much documentation out there for the shield but my TX audio sounds more like over modulated something than a packet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s